More than two decades after additive manufacturing (AM) processes were first introduced, broad industrial and consumer interest has finally caught up with technology. Everyone nowadays seems to be talking about 3D printing. But what is it, why is it a game-changer, and how can it be adopted into current manufacturing operations?
Delivered in a two-day format through Saskatchewan Polytechnic by experienced users of AM with strong academic credentials, this introductory course prepares students with the basic theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience necessary to better understand and apply practical AM applications. Participants will work through an example, taking a 3D CAD part from a model through optimum build orientation, actual part-build, and final post-processing of the part.
Upon completing the Additive Manufacturing Boot Camp, participants will:
- Understand the fundamentals of AM, including comparison to traditional manufacturing processes, and how it had fundamentally changed what can be designed and built.
- Understand the type of 3D data required to produce a part, and the various ways it can be generated, including CAD models, scanned data, and how to properly process it for a successful build.
- Gain hands-on experience with desktop AM technologies and understand the complete design-to-part process, and understand how most models need finishing after they are built.
- Understand the wide variety of machines types and materials, and how AM is applied across a wide variety of industries.
- Realize the potential implications of AM technologies on product development.
Who Should Participate?
This course will be useful to engineers, technologists, executives, and other manufacturing professionals in the areas of research and development, production, product design, and general operations/management.
Executive Director, Productivity & Innovation
Slower start to 2015 requires context for Saskatchewan's manufacturing sector
By Derek Lothian (Please note that all data used below is not seasonally adjusted, unless otherwise denoted.) Only a few short months ago, Saskatc...
July 02, 2015
CME hosts The Hon. Ed Fast in Regina during Canada's Farm Progress Show
Photo: Roundtable participants gather for a photo with The Hon. Ed Fast following the morning discussion in Regina, Friday, June 19, 2015. Canadian...
June 21, 2015